KFC has created an ungodly new recipe that’s having us checking the calendar to see if April 1 has come around again for a second run.
It’s called the Popcorn Chicken Savoury Cupcake and it’s made with, as the name suggests, Popcorn Chicken but also… potato & gravy.
“Trust us when we say this will be the most ludicrously delicious treat,” KFC urges but look, I dunno… these sorts of crazy taste combos is exactly why I have trust issues.
The cupcake was created as part of the new Kentucky Fried Cookin’ series, where KFC is partnering with a selection of well-known Australian chefs and foodies to make a variety of unique at-home dishes featuring KFC menu items throughout 2021.
It follows the at-home recipe series last year which the Kentucky Fried Brekkie, Popcorn Chicken Nachos, Hot & Spicy Mac ‘n’ Cheese and Zinger Parmi emerged.
Anyway, back to this cupcake.
We promised a recipe, so here ya go…
Popcorn Chicken Savoury Cupcake (Makes 15)
- 1 serve of large Potato & Gravy
- 1 large KFC Popcorn Chicken
For the cornbread cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 125 grams melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Add the remaining ingredients and gradually mix to combine.
- Divide between cupcake liners and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour the gravy from the potato and gravy into a bowl. Spoon the remaining potato into another bowl and stir to combine the potato and any remaining gravy.
- Transfer the potato to a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle.
- Pipe the potato on the top to resemble frosting on a cupcake. Top with 4-5 pieces of popcorn chicken and then spoon on around 1/2 tablespoon of KFC gravy to garnish.