Last week Sonia Kruger made a comment while speaking to Lisa Wilkinson and her Today Extra co-host David Campbell.

You probably know all about the discussion, which covered a discussion about the increased number of terrorist attacks globally and fears for Australia.

The chat resulted in Sonia Kruger answering a question from Lisa Wilkinson, with a comment that she would still be feeling the repercussions of more than a week later.

Lisa asked her, ‘Sonia, are you saying you want Australian borders totally closed to Muslim immigrants?’ to which she answered, ‘Yes, yes I would.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The backlash she received was overwhelming; and while some supported her right to speak out, most people slammed her, repeatedly. Now Sonia Kruger is said to be ‘fearful for her safety after receiving a slew of online death threats’, according to a report on the Daily Mail.

Sources have told New Idea magazine that the abundance of hateful online messages and death threats directed towards the Today Extra presenter has led to the 50-year-old feeling ‘very worried’.

A Nine Network insider says the network has been trying to remove any negative posts from its social media platforms in a speedy manner, as the ‘abusive comments are just the tip of the iceberg’ for the mother-of-one.

The morning after Sonia’s comments were broadcasted, she stared down the barrel of the camera and delivered a live statement before starting her show.

Advertisement
Advertisement

‘I saw the image of a baby covered in a plastic sheet with a doll lying beside her and it rocked me to the very core,’ she said.

‘I imagined what that must have been like for the people of Nice, for the friends and families of the lost and the thought that it could happen here terrifies me.’

She was noticeably absent from Today Extra on Friday morning and was later spotted on the Gold Coast.

Source: Daily Mail