Burglars and thieves have shared some of their top tips on how to successfully break into a home – so take note if you’d like to know how to keep your place safer.
A thread on Reddit saw self-described burglars discuss their own tactics, as well as scoffing at well-known tricks people use to keep thieves out, like leaving lights on and having a big, aggressive dog.
So here are some top tips that should help you – a look into the mind of the burglar and how they get you…
- Don’t post on Facebook or social media that you’re away from home and how long you’ll be gone for, and don’t post holiday photos until you get back.
- Put a nail through the window to seal it – otherwise it’s quite easily opened with a screwdriver.
- You’ll make it more obvious that you’re away if you use the standard tricks (lots of lights on, loud TV in the middle of the night).
- Don’t keep small valuables about – put them in a safe.
- Lock your dead bolts!
- Some cab drivers are in business with burglars and let them know when a house is empty – so get the taxi to pick you up near your house, not at it.
- If you’ve got webcams or other cameras in your house, make them visible to deter the burglar – because they’ll know they will be caught on film.
- Try not to have stools or other chairs in the backyard, as these make climbing through windows easier.
- Motion detecting lights will scare off some burglars.
- Keep expensive items out of sight, especially from the street.
- Make friends with your neighbours so they know who should be at your place, and be able to spot strangers.