Earlier this week Australian fans were left disappointed after news broke that Neil Young had cancelled plans to tour Australia and New Zealand next year.
We regret to advise that Neil Young will unfortunately no longer be undertaking a 2017 AU/NZ headline tour as previously teased on socials pic.twitter.com/CXj1FPGJxT
— Frontier Touring (@frontiertouring) November 29, 2016
Despite this, Young remained on the bill for Byron Bay Blues and Roots Bluesfest in April, and organisers declined to comment.
Today Byron Bay Blues and Roots Festival have officially confirmed that Neil Young has withdrawn from his headline spot at their Easter festival.
— Bluesfest Byron Bay (@BluesfestByron) December 1, 2016
“This comes as a great disappointment to Bluesfest, as well as all the Neil Young fans, who were looking forward to his performance,” the statement said, adding no explanation for his withdrawal. “Bluesfest is currently working on replacing Neil Young with a new headliner for the Friday night.”
“Whilst details for the cancellation remain sketchy, from what I can gather Neil has decided to take 2017 off from touring” said Festival Director, Peter Noble.
After a year where we’ve sadly seen several music giants like Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, Prince and Glenn Frey pass away, many fans have been left questioning if Young’s health is the cause for cancellation.
I really hope Neil Young cancelled his Bluesfest performance because he just doesn’t wanna. Rumours of ill health are concerning. 🙁
— Slatts (@trentslatts) December 2, 2016
As expected, Neil Young has cancelled his Bluesfest headline slot, oddly with no explanation. Festival is securing new headliner.
— cameron adams (@cameron_adams) December 1, 2016
No information has been made available on Young’s website.
At the moment, concerns for his health are based on speculation. We truly hope all is well with Neil and he keeps rocking the free world!