The erotic flick became the highest grossing Presidents Day and Valentine’s Day weekend opening with $81.7 million. It’s also the second biggest February debut ever, just $2 million behind 2004’s The Passion of the Christ, and the fourth biggest R-rated weekend premiere. A US R rating is equivalent to an Australian MA.
Kingsman: The Secret Service had a strong opening, coming in second with $35.6 million.
Last weekend’s number-one movie, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, dropped to third with $30.5 million.
American Sniper fell from second to fourth with $16.4 million. That pushed the war drama over the $300 million mark.
And Jupiter Ascending went from third to fifth with $9.4 million.
1. Fifty Shades of Grey – $81.7 million
2. Kingsman: The Secret Service – $35.6 million
3. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water – $30.5 million
4. American Sniper – $16.4 million
5. Jupiter Ascending- $9.4 million