Quirky's Quirks: Cannon Hill
This fortnight in Quirky Quirks, Lord Mayor Graham Quirk looks at the history of Cannon Hill as a suburb and how it got its name.
- Cannon Hill in Brisbane’s south east has a very rich and interesting history dating back to the 1800s.
- Cannon Hill was historically a mix between forest hills and a large tea tree swamp, and the area around Cannon Hill was largely bushland until the 1920s.
- One of the first places to be named in Cannon Hill was a large waterhole named “Naked Gully”, named after the indigenous children who regularly used it as a swimming hole.
- But the suburb name is one of the most interesting local stories.
- When surveyors from the Lands Department were inspecting the area they noticed fallen gum trees on the hill and thought they looked like cannons, hence the name Cannon Hill.
- The name ‘Cannon Hill’ was further cemented when a grand house was built in 1867 and named ‘Cannon Hill House’.
- Cannon Hill House was occupied by a prominent local family, the Weedon’s who owned and ran the Birmingham Small Arms.
- The Cannon Hill House remained a landmark until it unfortunately burnt down in 1927.
- During the 1920s Cannon Hill transformed into a suburb with a local school, a housing estate, School of Arts and a cattle saleyards and meatworks all featuring in the suburbs early history.
- In fact the building which housed the pastoral agents like Elders McTaggats among others was later moved to the Mt Gravatt showgrounds when it was restored and in productive use today.
- Cannon Hill also played a role in WWII with an American Army base located at the corner of Lang and Richmond Roads. There is still a strong military presence in Cannon Hill with many streets named according to a military theme.
- By the 1970s Cannon Hill had become a vibrant local area with its own post office, shopping centre and Galaxy Drive-In picture theatre.
- These days there is something for everyone in Cannon Hill so take a trip to the Brisbane Farmers Markets held every week, visit one of the many local parks or take a visit to the renovated School of Arts.