The Sad Reason Why Brisbane's Zombie Walk Could Be Dead
Organisers of one of the world's largest zombie walks have been thrown a bone after Brisbane City Council agreed to waive some of its fees for holding the gathering.
Rising council fees were cited in an announcement on the Brisbane zombie walk's Facebook page that declared the 2016 walk - to be held this weekend in the CBD - would be the last.
"Unfortunately, bureaucratic red tape and constant behind the scenes disputes with the Brisbane City Council has taken its toll on this event," organisers said.
The walk, which has been running for 10 years and raises money for the Brain Foundation of Australia, grew significantly in 2012 and organisers devised a ticketed model that included musical acts to help cover their overheads.
Many participants continued to join in for free, meaning organisers were still forced to pay "skyrocketing" fees for higher crowd numbers.
Brisbane City Council said it would waive a $2000 fee for the closure of parking metres to allow the 2016 event to go ahead.
Council planned to shut down almost 80 parking meters to avoid safety problems posed by no standing zones last year.
The event faces other significant costs, including a charge of more than $4000 for police to control traffic.
Brain Foundation chief executive officer Gerald Edmunds said that fee was not charged in other states.
"That's a lot of money when you're just trying to raise money for a good purpose," he told AAP.
Mr Edmunds said the zombie walk was an endearing event that helped put the spotlight on significant health issues.
"You could never measure the awareness you get out of this," he said.
"Brain and spinal injuries and disorders account for two-thirds of death and disability in Australia."
Organisers were understood be holding talks with council on Monday afternoon despite the sense of finality in their statement.
They thanked paying participants for their "undying" support and hoped for a large turnout on Sunday.