4KQ 693AM
Good Times & Great Classic Hits

Now Playing:

Listen on

Terrified Girl Trapped On Logan School Bus For Five Hours

A Queensland woman is threatening legal action after her five-year-old daughter was left alone and trapped on a school bus for hours.

Bobbie Langdon says her daughter Alyssa Jayde was "petrified and crying, banging on the school bus doors to get out" when finally found about 7.10pm on Monday.

Ms Langdon raised the alarm with police about 4.40pm, believing her daughter had failed to catch the bus home from Jimboomba State School.

But it turned out Alyssa had been on board the whole time, having fallen asleep near the back of the bus.

Detective Inspector Mark White said the year one student was ultimately found by a bus company employee, who contacted police.

"The child was located on the bus and the child had been asleep on a seat at the back of the bus. That location was not in clear view of the driver and other passengers," he said.

He said the police had carried out a wide-ranging search for the girl.

"We had all available resources deployed," he said.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk lashed the bus company involved in the incident, Logan Coaches, for not completing a compulsory search of the bus at the end of the school run.

"It appears that the driver did not do the end of run sweep as drivers are supposed to with those bus companies," Ms Palaszczuk told reporters.

"It's a timely reminder for the bus companies to ensure that that is done."

Ms Palaszczuk said it would be "every parent's worst nightmare" to have their child not come home from school.

"I'm glad she's safe and well," she said.

She said the Department of Transport will write to bus companies reminding them of their obligations to complete a check at the end of the bus run.

As well, Education Minister Grace Grace and Transport Minister Mark Bailey will talk to the company, which she says should carry out a thorough review to ensure nothing similar ever happens again.

A spokesman for Logan Coaches told AAP the company was investigating the incident.

Ms Langdon has warned the company to expect a letter from her lawyer.

"Alyssa was located petrified and crying, banging on the school bus doors to get out," the distressed mother posted on Facebook.

"For five long hours she slept her heat away.

"My daughter will not be attending Jimboomba State School anymore."


Share this: