Another Bub In Gas Bungle At Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital
Image: Daily Telegraph
The Sydney hospital at the centre of a fatal gas mix-up has confirmed another newborn was affected by a loss of oxygen two years ago.
It follows the 'devastating error' revealed this week at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital which led to the death of a newborn baby boy with another newborn girl suffering suspected brain damage after being given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen at the hospital in June and July.
NSW health authorities have now confirmed that an oxygen supply cut out while being used to resuscitate a newborn baby at the hospital in 2014. The baby survived the incident, a Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital spokesman said.
"In January 2014 a baby was delivered in the birthing unit at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital who required resuscitation," the hospital said in a statement.
"During resuscitation the oxygen cylinder emptied and staff transferred the baby to the Special Care Nursery to ensure ongoing oxygen supply for the resuscitation. "Following an investigation into the birth, the hospital installed outlets in the birthing unit that provided a constant oxygen supply. "Last week, the hospital also tested gas outlets in the birthing unit and confirmed the presence of oxygen from all outlets.
"The birthing unit is separate to the operating theatre complex."
NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner (pictured) has apologised for the "devastating error" and announced a sweeping review of hospital theatres to ensure the recent fatal mix-up is not repeated.
Ms Skinner, who has rejected calls to resign, has announced an investigation and called the parents of both children to apologise.
She says the parents will be compensated.