4KQ 693AM
Good Times & Great Classic Hits

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Rolf Harris's second trial from January 9

Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris will face a second trial in London from January 9 on a series of indecent assault charges against women and girls.

The 86-year-old appeared in London's Southwark Crown Court on Thursday by videolink from Stafford Prison where he is serving nearly six years for similar offences following his first trial in 2014.

Sitting at a table and wearing a grey suit and colourful tie, Harris pleaded not guilty to seven charges of indecent assault and one of sexual assault.

They relate to seven female complainants aged between 12 and 27 at the time of the alleged offences between 1971 and 2004.

After hearing submissions from the defence and prosecution, Judge Alistair McCreath set a trial commencement date of January 9, with the trial expected to last four to five weeks.

Defence counsel Stephen Vullo told the court Harris, at the age of 86, had a "number of ailments", none of which would improve and those conditions would continue to be monitored.

After his first appearance on the new charges in the Westminster Magistrates Court last month, lawyer Daniel Berke read out a statement from the Harris family saying they were "disappointed and saddened" prosecutors had decided to pursue another trial.

"We, for our part, will do all we can as a family to assist him in proving his innocence," the statement said.

AAP

Share this: