Fifteen Quotes To Mark Queen Elizabeth II's 90th Birthday
In honour of Queen Elizabeth II's 90th Birthday today, we have taken time to look back at some of her most inspirational and moving quotes.
From her musings on love, life and being a royal, she makes some very valid points.
1. “Grief is the price we pay for love.”
2. (After being asked why she wasn’t smiling) “I simply ache from smiling. Why are women expected to beam all the time? It’s unfair. If a man looks solemn, it’s automatically assumed he’s a serious person, not a miserable one.”
3. “I know of no single formula for success. But over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration to work together.”
4. “My husband has quite simply been my strength and stay all these years, and I owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim.”
5. “Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.”
6. “Good memories are our second chance at happiness.”
7. “The world is not the most pleasant place. Eventually your parents leave you and nobody is going to go out of their way to protect you unconditionally.You need to learn to stand up for yourself and what you believe and sometimes, pardon my language, kick some ass."
8. “For me, heaven is likely to be a bit of a come-down.”
9. “When life seems hard, the courageous do not lie down and accept defeat; instead, they are all the more determined to struggle for a better future.”
10. "The upward course of a nation’s history is due in the long run to the soundness of heart of its average men and women.”
11. “Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom.”
12. "I have to be seen to be believed."
13. "Family does not necessarily mean blood relatives but often a description of a community, organisation or nation."
14. "We all need to get the balance right between action and reflection. With so many distractions, it is easy to forget to pause and take stock."
15. "It's all to do with the training: you can do a lot if you're properly trained."